Do the next thing is a favorite phrase of mine. I don’t say it to anyone. But I hear Him tell me this … It comes from Â a poem by the same name, written by Elizabeth Elliot. You can read it here…Â Â It seems simple. But it works. Whenever life seems overwhelming and I cannot seem to see which way to go, I have learned, to Do the Next Thing. One step at a time, following Christ, do the next thing.
Got a dream? Do the next thing. Has He put a desire in your heart? He will give us the desires of our hearts if we allow Him to put them there to begin with! He will always give us what we need to accomplish His will for our lives.
When we get up each day, instead of fearing our to do lists or the problems the day has in store, Do the Next Thing. Just one thing. Then Â do the next item on your list. One by one the tasks are completed. Â We have so many things on our lists these days. What is that first thing?
When seeking His will… Seek Him First. That is the First Thing!
Do Not Be Anxious
25Â â€œTherefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? 26Â Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? 27Â And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? 28Â And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, 29Â yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. 30Â But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31Â Therefore do not be anxious, saying, â€˜What shall we eat?â€™ or â€˜What shall we drink?â€™ or â€˜What shall we wear?â€™ 32Â For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. 33Â But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.
34Â â€œTherefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble. The Holy Bible: English Standard Version. 2001 (Mt 6:25â€“34). Â
Seek Him First
Seeking Â Him first is simple. Seek His face in prayer and in the Word before we do anything! Grab Â your basket and your cup of coffee or tea and find your secret place! ( For more on Baskets for your secret place, click here). This is your foundation! He is our refuge and our strong tower! He is the First Thing. Â He will guide you if you allow Him to. This is about everything in our worlds. From homekeeping to dream chasing..
- Allow Him to guide your to do lists. And then do one by one, just one.. the next thing. It will not be unmanageable. It will be doable and you will accomplish what you must.
- Allow yourself put what you do not finish on the next day’s list. Learn to give yourself some grace.
- Find a balance between ‘work’ and family by good time management. Keep a daily diary and write down what is working and what doesn’t. What works for one family does not work for the next. Just learn to bend as you find your rhythm.
- Write a schedule but remember to be flexible as you and your family are learning together. Find a balance between work and play!
- Teach your children to be responsible for chores and jobs around the home. We must teach them to be capable of managing their time, their work and their fun as well. We should be guiding them to be individuals who are capable and Â independent.
- Dream! Do you have dreams that you keep on pushing aside? Do the Next Thing!
- Teach your children to dream and do the next thing!
- Celebrate your accomplishments! Enjoy the feeling of a job well done!
This is a life style change. Whether you are looking to change and bring order to Â your chaotic world or just need to simplify, Do the Next Thing. Have a dream that the Lord has put in Â your heart? He didn’t put it there to if He didn’t know you could accomplish it…. with Him. So let Him guide you! Do not be anxious about how it will come about. Do not worry period.